Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pompeii


We went on a day trip to Naples area to view this preserved city. It was fascinating to see how the people lived back in AD 79.


Temple. The pillars that are shorter were under construction when the volcano erupted.

The Pompeii people even had a statue of Alita.

Mount Vesuvius. Still smoking, apparently. Just imagine the two points coming together in one high peak.



Murals still intact over a marketplace.
I think I know what happened to Wallace, Gromit's friend.

Ancient spa. Not too different than the ones today. Except maybe no waxing services.
Bakery. Slaves or donkeys walked around these mills to grind the wheat.
I wonder if they made pizza in their brick ovens.




We stopped in Naples as it is the birthplace of pizza. It was delicious, of course.




This isn't a great video, but it kinda shows the crazy driving in Italy. It is amazing you don't see accidents, people just go along with the chaos. We saw 2 elderly men crossing the street so slowly and thinking, there is no way they would make it, but somehow they were still alive on the other side.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Naples is fun. Did you ride the funicular?

Sorensen said...

You are hilarious! Man I miss you!

Britney said...

I've always thought Pompeii would be fascinating to see.

Teresja said...

I think my favorite is the Alita statue.