Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memorial Day

Jay and I decided to try and appreciate this great holiday by getting a little closer to those who protect our country.  Here in NYC there is something called "Fleet Week" where naval ships come into town.  They allow tours of their vessels and have demonstrations and displays of their combat equipment.  
By the time we made it to the Hudson, the line was long long long.  But we stuck it out in the sun and  heat (78 is hot to a pregnant woman!) and after 2 hours, we were finally getting on board when the crowd started to get a little pushy.  The people next to me started yelling, "We got a pregnant woman here!  We got a pregnant woman here!"  I didn't appreciate the attention in my hot sweaty state, but thought it was meant as a kind gesture..... until they used the space to inch ahead of me.  Sneaky little line hoppers!  But we finally made it onboard the USS Kearsarge without harm.   

I was happy to find a spot to sit, even if it was in a landing craft.


Jay in the 'Sea Knight Helicopter'


It really was a beautiful day and with a wonderful view from the deck.  
Thanks to all those who have fought for our freedom, including my two grandpas and brother, Gunnar.  
Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Um... you are amazing. The last 2 weeks before I delivered I was couch-bound.